Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Playing catch-up

Since I was away, I'm going to play catch-up for the OCLS Learn 2.0 lessons with this posting.

With regards to Week #7, I checked out Chug'd and, although I'm quite the beer fan, it didn't look like there was a lot going on with this website. The beer bottles next to the listings aren't the actual brand's bottle, but just a generic icon. And any beer website that fails to mention my favourite brew, Hitachino Nest White Ale, is bound to get a thumbs-down from me. It appears that Chug'd has a long way to go before it could be a useful resource and tool for anyone possessing beer knowledge that goes beyond party keg swill.

When it comes to actually connecting with other beer drinkers, why not have a good cause behind it? Beer Church is a group that gathers people together for good beers and good causes. Our local Orlando chapter meets monthly at Redlight Redlight out in Winter Park, and I recommend the experience. The website itself is also full of information about beer and beer news, like this article on the Top 30 Beer Brand Performers. Newcastle is #1!

I was familar with Catster and Dogster; my old cat (who's now with the ex) has a Catster site, though it hasn't been updated for ages, nor will it be any time soon. You can see it here.

As far as the "Adventure Challege" goes, I believe I've already mentioned Open Source Food, which I've been using for my baking hobby. So far, I have six recipes, though my goal is to be a pro-user by having ten three-star-rated recipes. You can see my profile and recipes here.

As far as Week #8 goes, I don't know how I can catch up with regards to the photos that my department has done. I actually have a Flickr account, which you can find the link for in the sidebar of this blog. In any case, I guess I'll have to talk to my manager, Jim, with regards to catching up to this one. With Creative Commons licensing, I've been familiar with that as well through my experience with Flickr, as well as when I wrote my little Wikipedia article (which has no doubt been rewritten and/or edited since), and with Open Source Food.

Here is a photo I took in Mexico City this past January. If you click on it, it will take you to my Flickr account.

flux light

-doreen

No comments: