Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Wednesday's cookies

So I made cookies last night, which are the ones pictured here, from a recipe gotten from my RSS feed from All Recipies. The recipe was derived from one called Jumbo Raisin Spice Cookies, but the version I made were vegan and omitted the salted peanuts, using instead dried apples and cranberries from an organic fruit snack mix bought in the Greenwise section of Publix. As the empty plastic container next to me proves, these cookies met with the approval of at least some members of the Special Services department, namely one in particular who asked me for my version of the recipe. Since I was experimenting last night, this recipe might not be accurate, but I'll post it anyway, just in case someone else feels line fooling around in the kitchen.

Vegan Fruit & Spice Cookies
makes 24 cookies, more or less

Ingredients
3 cups oat flour or unbleached all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup unsalted vegan butter (or use regular unsalted butter if recipe doesn't need to be vegan)
1 3/4 cups white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup sweetened applesauce
1 1/2 cups raisins
1 package of dried cranberries & apples (I used Good Sense's brand)

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets.
2. In a large bowl, beat butter until soft. Mix in the vanilla and sugar. Add the applesauce and mix well. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger cinnamon and nutmeg. Gradually stir into the butter mixture. Stir in raisins, dried apples and cranberries. Take tablespoon-sized pieces of dough and drop them onto the cookie sheets, pushing the dough to make a round or semi-round shape.
3. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Let cool on wire racks.

Again, this recipe is still in beta mode, so I will still be working on it to make it even better. I'll release a 2.0 version if I decide to modify this any.

-doreen

1 comment:

Books.R.Us said...

Yum! I can taste them already.

Thanks.